Skip to main content

Review/Critique: Amélie

Amélie

Jean-Pierre Jeunet





Expectations: I honestly did not have many expectations going into this film. I knew "Amélie" was a pretty popular European film, I knew it was a love story, and I knew it was French. That's about it. I think this is often the best way to go into a movie, knowing very little, and I would say that my lack of knowledge likely aided my enjoyment of this film, although it's impossible to say since I can never watch this film for the first time again. Since it would be rather ironic if I did not follow up by saying "turn back now to stay unspoiled and experience the movie with no prior knowledge" I will tell you to do so. If all you wanted was a rating you can see above that I did like the movie, and I think you probably will too (especially if you like films by a Mister Wes Anderson as it feels very similar in tone and style to his newer films). If you are going to disregard my warning as would not surprise me, then read ahead for a more detailed explanation to what I thought about "Amélie".

Review: Much to my surprise, "Amélie" was in no way a traditional love story. My surprised was not due to me being told otherwise, rather that I had a preconceived assumption that a rather farmous love story that takes place in Paris, France would be incredibly typically romantic. "Amélie" is not though, in fact it's very much the opposite.

         The film revolves around our titular protagonist and her incredibly whimsical not so traditional family upbringing. This upbringing leads her to being completely inept in forming romantic relationships with other human beings. The entire film revolves around this idea, and her coming into her own in learning how to express affection towards other human beings. This is not just romantic affection, in fact until later in the film it was easy to forget that this movie was a love story at all. Don't get me wrong, love is a major theme of this movie, it just doesn't slap you in the face with it. It's subtle, and the movie spends a long time exploring 
Amélie and the lives of the individuals around her so as to put you in the perfect frame of reference for when the movie can remind you that it's a love story. It's very non-traditional, something that makes it very memorable in sea of very samey romantic comedies, and leads it to being one of my favorite romantic comedies I have watched. The non-traditional nature of the film is not just in story, but in presentation as well.

        Watching this film all I could think of is how similar it is in tone and direction to many Wes Anderson films. The narration of the events taking place, the camera shots, the overall "quirky atmosphere" it all alluded to films I've seen before... but they are films that came out much later than this one. In addition I never felt as if "Amélie" movie was applauding itself the entire time for how "unique" or "quirky" it is. I like Wes Anderson films alright, don't get me wrong, but often times I just want to roll my eyes when he spends a solid chunk of his movie reminding us "hey look at how quirky my movies are!" I never felt this way about "Amélie", so this one is an easy recommend. If you like Wes Anderson movies then this is right up your alley, and if you don't then "Amélie" is the perfect choice to reaffirm your opinion that they are all self applaudatory garbage, I mean very good in their own right.

Recommendation: It's very easy when hearing me say this movie appeals to two types of people, those who like Wes Anderson films, and those who don't, to believe I recommend "Amélie" to everyone and while you're not wrong, I definitely don't think everyone would like this movie. If you would describe yourself as the type of person who "hates pretentious movies" I would probably stay away from this one. Do I think the movie is pretentious? No, but I don't think anyone I've met who claims to hate pretentious things would like this movie. If you like romantic comedies, you're trying to pick out a good date night movie, or you just want to watch an incredibly famous European film, definitely give "Amélie" a watch.

...

And those are my thoughts on 
"Amélie"! Took longer than planned, but what doesn't in life.

Until Next Time!

- Malachi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i