Skip to main content

Picks: April

Hello Everyone! March is over, April is here, bring me the April Picks!

For anyone who doesn't know, I decided to be selfish and read all of the Lord of The Rings books this year over the course of a three month span. Because of this I am shaping my themes for the months around the themes of each Lord of the Ring book. Last month's theme was nature, this months's theme... War.



Book: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Author: J. R. R. Tolkien


Why I chose this book: Since as I have said before I am reading this whole series over the course of three months I didn't really have too many options on this one. I spent a while deliberating but in the end I decided this is undeniably the best image to choose for the book of the month picture.

Okay let's talk a bit about picking the theme of war. To anyone who doesn't know, war is a huge part of this particular book as it exists in relation to the series as a whole. It is as well a war that obviously takes place in a fantasy universe, so I am trying to keep that "fantasy" vibe as well in my picks as best as I can. In the end like I did last month with the theme of nature, I wanted to pick out what made this book stand out among the other three and I don't think there's a better theme choice than war.

Album: Through Silver in Blood

Artist: Neurosis


Why I chose this Album: Real talk, even though I just said that war was the obvious pick for the month this was also a huge reason I ended up choosing the theme. I was spit-balling theme ideas for April with my buddy Andrew Kenny, and when I said War he immediately stated "If you pick War, you have to listen to this album by Neurosis." Even if looking back war is definitely the best theme I could have picked, this album was a huge influencer in my decision so I am incredibly excited to listen to it.

Film: Pan's Labyrinth

Director: Guillermo del Toro


Why I chose this Movie: This is definitely one of those movies I can't believe I still haven't seen. It's a beloved movie that I hear people talk about all the time and it's directed by the Guillermo Del Toro, the director nobody will shut up about (okay yes Shape of Water was very good I will admit). This one has been on my radar for a while, and lucky for me it fits the theme of this month really well. It's a fantasy movie, but it also takes place during Nazi occupied Spain in World War II which means it will play off of the fantasy war vibe from Lord of the Rings perfectly. Super excited for this one.

Video Game: Wolfenstein II

Studio: Bethesda



Why I chose this Game: Alright here comes the black sheep of the party (at least as far as my taste is concerned). Wolfenstein II is a game I would never want to play in a million years. What's the point though in doing something like Year of Critique if I'm not going to break out of my comfort zone? Also let's be honest for a moment here, if I am going to play an FPS any month it's going to be this one and I can't just act like the genre doesn't exist. In spite of my negative comments, I am actually really excited for this game. I am hopeful that it can hit that middle ground for me of being something that is different and new, but not so different that it puts me off from the genre entirely. From what I have seen it seems like something I would like if I was going to like an FPS game, so I'm really optimistic. So far as well I've played mostly old games, so this will be a good chance for me to play something a bit more modern. Also the game takes place in a fantastical trippy alternate Nazi occupied universe, so yeah, it's on theme.

...

And that's it for my picks for April! No recommendation for this month as I honestly don't think I have anything in particular that I recommend for this month's theme. Like usual I will be releasing my reviews for my March picks in the coming few weeks, no book review this month though as I'm going to review The Lord of the Rings as a trilogy. Till my next review!

- Malachi

Comments

  1. Looking forward to the Wolfenstein one. Apparently, getting out of your comfort zone is a very useful exercise for game designers as well.

    Also, that is SUCH a sick cover for Two Towers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh also I'm not sure but do you know if this is the one where nobody can figure out what to do in certain parts? Like it's more or less impossible to figure out where to go a couple times

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i