Skip to main content

Review: The Creatures in Lady Walton's Garden

The Creatures in Lady Walton's Garden

Clogs (2010)



Review:
Within the setting in which I listened to "The Creatures in Lady Walton's Garden" it was definitely a pleasure. It compounded my enjoyment reading The Lord of the Rings very well, serving as a wonderful backdrop to the journey through fantastical wilderness. It's hard to describe exactly why, but this album feels very Celtic in tone and theme. The bells, string and wind instruments, and subdued drum beat all come together to generate a sound that makes you feel more like you are out exploring an enchanted forest than sitting in your bed reading. When I listened to this album on its own though, I definitely did not enjoy it quite as much as I did when I put it on in the background to service other things I was doing.

         That's not to say I didn't like the album, I really like some of the individual tracks and the cohesiveness of the album as a whole, it's just not something I would chose to listen to on its own almost ever. For me and my enjoyment of it, it really needs to be played in a particular context and setting. Luckily when it's in that context and setting, it's unmatched. It's an album I will definitely keep up my sleeve for when the right mood or setting comes up, and when it does I will be excited to listen to it again.

Standout Tracks:

I used to Do: Anyone who knows my tastes so far knows I like songs on the sadder side of things. This song has a nice mix of sad but still with the consistent theme of adventure and wilderness.

Red Seas: Far and away my favorite track. It really feels like the start of an adventure, one where you don't know if you will be coming back. A departure from a life of comfort into one of the unknown. Super loved this track.

Recommendation: I recommend this album to anyone who likes music that is more mood or tone setting. I know some people just want to jam out when they listen to music, and this would definitely not be the album for you. If you like to put on music in the background while doing other things, or like to put on music to relax during a warm summers day, this is definitely the album for you.
         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picks: April

Hello Everyone! March is over,  April is here , bring me the April Picks! For anyone who doesn't know, I decided to be selfish and read all of the Lord of The Rings books this year over the course of a three month span. Because of this I am shaping my themes for the months around the themes of each Lord of the Ring book. Last month's theme was nature , this months's theme... War . Book: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Author: J. R. R. Tolkien Why I chose this book: Since as I have said before I am reading this whole series over the course of three months I didn't really have too many options on this one. I spent a while deliberating but in the end I decided this is undeniably the best image to choose for the book of the month picture. Okay let's talk a bit about picking the theme of  war . To anyone who doesn't know, war is a huge part of this particular book as it exists in relation to the series as a whole. It is as well a war that obviously ...

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one ...

Review/Critique: Kid A

Kid A Artist: Radiohead Review/Critique: One of the biggest reasons I decided to do Year of Critique was to broaden my horizons within each individual medium that interested me. I felt as though for the most part I had stagnated when it came to all four mediums and the consumption of them felt like a waste of time rather than a good use of it. What I could not have predicted however, was exactly which medium of the four I would spend the most time with outside of my monthly picks and to my surprise that medium ended up being music. After listening to " Ziggy Stardust " earlier this year, I decided to listen to a bunch of other albums by David Bowie as well. Once I had exhausted his catalogue for the time being, I decided to ask a close friend of mine who is pretty into David Bowie what other artist I would like. He strongly recommended me OK Computer by Radiohead. Well I decided to give that album a listen, and I have to be honest - it has quickly become one of m...