Skip to main content

Review: Through Silver in Blood

Through Silver in Blood


Neurosis (1996)


Review: Through Silver in Blood is an album I certainly did not expect to enjoy as much as I did. I'm not the type of person to say that I dislike any particular genre of music, but I'd be lying if I said metal is something I choose to listen to in my free time. In addition, when I saw that this album was 70 minutes long and that the genre is one I hardly listen to, I started dreading the thought of listening to this album in its entirety. So - I decided I would break my rule and just put this album on in the background while I did other things. I quickly found that I had set myself an impossible task as this album requires more attention to listen to than any other I've ever heard.

         Through Silver in Blood is a war album. Not a glorified war album, the real stuff and man does it deliver on that idea. This is undeniably the most haunting album I have ever listened to. It transported me to another world for the entirety of its 70 minute run time. It hits you in the face with heart pumping instrumentals, taking frequent, calming - rather chilling pauses to lure you into a sense of safety. These pauses in any other album may seem relaxing, but in this one they give you such intense anxiety because you are never certain when the adrenaline rush is going to start up again. This album made me anxious the entire way through, and yet funnily enough that's exactly why I enjoyed it so much. Through Silver in Blood is not easy listening, through music alone it makes you feel like you are on the front lines of a horrible war, and that's why it's so damn intriguing.

Standout Tracks:

Strength of Fates: This song transported me like no other track on the album. For 9 minutes straight I could focus on nothing else. It's somber and depressing, but also still has those anxiety trips and brutal bits that the album is so good at producing. It takes a moment to reflect on the rest of the album leading up to this point - and reminds you of all the horrors that took place.

Aeon: Just such a good second to last track - it serves as such a good "post war" song to begin closing things out. There's a sense of despair and pain that comes in with the wind instruments near the end of the track. They aren't present in from my memory any other part of the album and really do an amazing job at setting the mood and tone for the end of this great album. Phenomenal track.

Recommendation: I recommend this album to anyone whose interest was piqued by anything I have said about it so far. I know this album is not for everyone - but I do want to say that if your reasoning for not checking it out is because you "don't like metal" I think it's a pretty silly one. I am absolutely not a metal listener by any means, but I thought this album was fucking amazing. If an anxiety inducing, heart pumping, bone-chilling ride is not the type of thing that you think you would enjoy then definitely steer clear of this album. If rather your interest is piqued at the thought of an album that haunts you for long after you listen to it, please give this one a listen. And please stick through with it to the end, I really don't think you will be dissapointed. This album might be a 6/6 for me, I have to listen to it a few more times to decide!

...

And that's it for my review on Through Silver in Blood! The next one is Pan's Labrynth, until then!

- Malachi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i