Skip to main content

Review: In the Court of the Crimson King

In the Court of the Crimson King

King Crimson



Review: In a failed attempt to diversify the type of music I listen to for my year of critiques, I've now listened to two of the most famous progressive rock albums of all time in the span of five months. What's cool though about the blanket that is prog-rock is that you can listen to two albums under its umbrella and go from a broad introspective listen to getting punched in the face followed by Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies. This has very much been my experience listening to "In the Court of the Crimson King", following "The Dark Side of the Moon" as I came to learn that these two albums, and the prog-rock genre as a whole, is much more diverse than I could've expected"The Dark Side of the Moon" was an easily digestible, likable album that felt just introspective enough to make you ponder existence but not so out there that you awaken from the simulation that is your life. "In the Court of the Crimson King", however says fuck that and punches you in the face right out the gate only to bring you back around with some toddlers banging around on the xylophone. That may seem exaggeratedly negative, but obviously looking above you know that I really adored this album. This is because, fortunately, albums are a medium that do not take your full attention to consume, so when you've already listened to the album day one of your month of critique you can say fuck it and put it on any chance you get. At this point I've probably listened to the album all the way through eight or nine times and let me tell you, it's fuckin' phenomenal.

As I illustrated above, perhaps my initial reaction to this album was soured by the opening track "21st Century Schizoid Man" which in contrast to any of the Pink Floyd tracks I heard earlier this year from the same genre of music comes out swinging with bombastic guitar riffs, wind instruments blaring, and vocals screeching. I then assumed this album would be much heavier than anticipated, and was taken aback further when I was met with an incredibly airy, somber track in "I talk to the Wind". Then "Epitath" came on and, I'll be honest, even on first listen I knew this track was a winner. Still it felt weird to have such an epic, moody track follow the "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" track I mentioned earlier. It felt like the whole album was slowing down a bit, and then came "Moonchild". This is where, after some really gloomy vocals and instrumentals, we finally get to see the toddlers perform on the big stage. To be honest for a little bit I forgot I was listening to music, and then in an instant came the titular track "The Court of the Crimson King" another show stopper orchestral epic, and yes the album is only five tracks long so that was it.

Now after all this, I was understandably confused. The album is nothing like "The Dark Side of the Moon" the only other prog-rock album I have at present to compare it to. It's so much more out there and weird, which really surprised me since the album came out two years earlier than "The Dark Side of the Moon", an album which I already considered quite experimental and ahead of its time. The more I listened to it though, the more the story came together, the more insanely good I realized this album is. Each of the five tracks of this album are so insanely distinct and powerful in their own way and have their own completely unique and different tone, yet tell such a cohesive story together as a whole that would fail to come across if any singular piece of it was removed. Impressively too, each of these tracks is so individually stand-out that whenever they come on I get a little rush like the best song on the album has just started. It's a damn good sign when each time the next track comes on you go "wait no THIS is the best track". Still though, I do have a few obvious winners that I liked the most that I will list below.

Standout Tracks:


Epitath: As I said before even when I listened to the album for the first time and wasn't as taken by it as I am now, I absolutely loved this song. It feels like a cowboy is out in the wild west lamenting the death of his people. It's a moody track, yet still hits you with the epic orchestral bits and pieces that have you punching the air lying in bed and singing along in the car on the way home from work.

The Court of the Crimson King: The. fucking. anthem. I know I said that every time a song comes on in this album I go "okay no, this is the best track" but seriously this is the best track. It's just so epic, it feels like judgement day on the final day of the end of the world. The great and grand orchestra backing up the solemn, broody vocals that lead into, piece by piece, small callbacks to each of the songs that have come before it is just such a good way to finish off the album. It feels like the most beautiful culmination and climax of everything that has come before it, it's honestly one of the greatest tracks I have ever listened to.

Recommendation: Now this is where it gets really hard since I so clearly want to say that everyone I know should listen to this album, but when I first listened to it I wasn't so fond of it so clearly that's not the case. It's insanely experimental and what many would describe as "out there". There are too, moments where you will be scratching your head asking yourself if this even counts as music by Merriam-Webster's standards. I do think though that most people would generally enjoy this album. It's just got so much to like even if you aren't that much a fan of more experimental prog-rock stuff. Just go into it knowing that you don't know where it's going to go and you'll be golden.

...

And that's my review of "In the Court of the Crimson King". Now you may be asking yourself why after all this praise I've given it why it is only a five out of six, and it's honestly just that a month isn't a long enough time to figure out if something is or is not one of my favorite things. Whether or not this album is one of my favorites will take time, but I promise you that in my end of the year wrap up you will know what my final thoughts are on it. 😊

Next up is my review on "The King's Speech" which will be coming out shortly, until then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i