Skip to main content

Picks: July

Hello everyone! Summer is finally upon us and with it comes once again the end of one month (June) and the beginning of another (July). I must admit that with the 4th of July weekend recently having passed I am in a particularly patriotic mood, and have as such picked the only logical theme to go in a month with such a holiday - a theme that exemplifies what's so great about America - Foreign (media)! I'm trying to pick some stuff way out of my comfort zone this time, so let's get into the picks!

Album: Black Earth

Artist: Bohren & der Club of Gore


Why I chose this Album: What better way to get this month kicked off than with the fourth album from German ambient/jazz band "Bohren & Der Club of Gore", "Black Earth". Like I have said before one of the biggest motivators in doing Year of Critique is stepping out of my comfort zone and I must say that this is certainly doing so. I like Jazz for sure, but dark, ambient, Deutsche Jazz? I'm unsure, but what I can say is I'm super excited to give it a listen.


Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude

Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez


Why I chose this Book: Written by Colombian author and apparent Nobel Prize winner, "Gabriel Garcia Marquez" this multi-generational epic goes through seven generations of the founding members of a fictional town's lives and gives you insight into how things develop around them. It has been heralded as one of the greatest books ever written and is a staple piece of Colombia's literary cannon. It will be good to see what all the hype is about for this book I've been hoping to get around to this year, and I will hopefully get some good insight into Colombian culture in the meantime.

Film: Oldboy

Director: Park Chan-Wook


Why I chose this Movie: If there is one piece of media that has not changed since I originally brainstormed the list for my foreign media month near the beginning of the year, it's this one (perhaps because my friends don't stop talking about how good it is). I have heard this is a must watch absolutely brutal action thriller, from the amazing Korean director Park Chan-Wook, something that has been on my to watch list for far too long and that I am eager to check off. 

Detention

Developer: RedCandleGames


Why I chose this Game: Choosing a game has never been this hard before. I tried so hard to find a game set in a non-fictional place outside of America, specifically developed by a non-american person, but alas I found close to nothing (it's unfortunate I didn't save Okami for this month). I was going to play the game "Baba is You" developed by the Finnish Hempuli Oy and even originally posted my picks for July with that game as my game for the month, but then I watched a video on a game developed by RedCandleGames called "Detention" and I knew I had to play it. Now it's no secret to anyone who knows me that I hate all things horror, but when I saw what this game had to offer I knew I would have to set that hate aside so I could play this awesome looking game (also diversifying my tastes is important or something). It's a game that follows the lives of a few individuals living through the White Terror in Taiwan, a horrifying time of censorship and oppression of the Taiwanese people. Learning more about some of the major events that have taken place and shaped other cultures is one thing I was hoping to gain from my month of Foreign (media) and my apologies to "Baba is You" but I feel that "Detention" will be much more successful in delivering on that.

...

And those are my picks for July! I had a lot of fun choosing my picks this month, funny enough this is the first time I have ever made a change to my picks for the month after making the blog post
. That's not something I want to become common place, but every once in a while it may happen. Look forward to my review of Ziggy Stardust coming out later this month - I have a lot to say about it so it should be a spicy one!

Until then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i