Skip to main content

Review/Critique: Dune

Dune

Frank Herbert


"He who controls the spice, controls the universe."
- Vladimir Harkonnen

Review: It surprises me that Frank Herbert's "Dune" is not more popular than it is with how much influence it has had over the Science Fiction genre. It wasn't until last year when myself and a couple of friends decided and failed to start a book club that I even heard about this novel as it was by far the book everyone wanted to read the most. Things fell apart though and people ended up reading it on their own time. Now with my Year of Critique it's finally time for me to join the club! My friends let me know that they felt pretty positively about it and it is in fact the second best selling Science Fiction novel of all time, so surely it must be good right? Well as is true of any rhetorical question in review format, no I don't really think it's all that good - and before I get flamed by hardcore "Dune" fans I do not think it is awful by any stretch of the imagination, rather that what it does well it does really well and what it does poorly it does really poorly. Unfortunately the number of things it does poorly outweigh the number of things it does well and for such a large portion of the book. Let's not get negative though, let's start off positive by talking about the things "Dune" does really, incredibly, unbelievably well. 

       If you know me, you will know that I really enjoy fantasy stories with immense amounts of world building. Avatar the last Airbender, Lord of the Rings, and One Piece rank as some of my favorite pieces of media out there - so it brings me great joy to say that as when it comes to worldbuilding, "Dune" absolutely hits it out of the park. In fact I would say that some of "Dune's" world building elements are executed better than quite possibly any piece of media I've ever consumed. For example, the exposition of the planet's ecosystem, the culture of the Fremen people, and the challenges faced in people from off planet adapting to it. I have never read a book that is so painstakingly consistent in building out its world and accounting for every minute detail that would be different in it. No stone feels unturned and this element alone for me almost makes up for all of the things in the novel I did not like (also the Sandworms are so jaw droppingly iconic). Unfortunately though it's not just one giant book about the planet of Arrakis and a self contained story that takes place there, it's a political conquest of galaxy wide proportions and it's really here where I feel my enjoyment of "Dune" dwindled and unfortunately began as the first two hundred pages focus on this plot line.

         I'm not saying the Bene Gesserit aren't interesting or that the way in which Arrakis is leveraged as a planet in the grand scheme of things isn't cool, I'm simply saying that when the focus of the story is not on the culture of Arrakis I do not enjoy the book all that much. I think much of the reason for this has to do with the characters. Aside from Jessica, Paul's mother, every non Fremen character is wildly uninteresting. This is especially true for Paul who really just feels like a vessel for the forwarding of the plot - and I know that people will say "well it makes sense within the context of the book" and that is in fact true, but this truth doesn't magically make the character interesting. I don't know, maybe I'm just tired of genius main characters with little to no flaws. I do have to give credit though and say that I actually believe the plot that Paul is a vessel for is very interesting and well executed in comparison to other stories who pull a similar card with their main character. The villains too feel very replaceable. Now I'm all for a completely irredeemable, vile villain, but if that's the case I really think the villain's design needs to be intimidating, threatening, or badass. Vladimir Harkonnen is none of these things, he's just putrid and unlikable.

         The reason I bring this all up is because when politics are at the forefront of the story (the parts I stated early I do not like) these are the characters they focus on, and these parts take up more than half of the overall narrative. It's not on the culture of Arrakis, or the giant sand worms, or the Fremen, it's on a bunch of bland uninteresting characters playing games of political espionage with each other, and for this to work I really think you need to have interesting characters. Also so much of the dialogue is so unbearably cheesy. I would rather gag on a spoon than hear one more line about Paul being "a child who thinks like a man". These moments just bring back bad memories of Kirito or Bella as self insert with fulfillment character, and the book is so much more than that. If only it could stop focusing on it for five minutes. Anyway I've said about all I have to say without entering spoiler territory so let me get into my recommendation.

Recommendation: The first and easiest demographic to recommend this book is to anyone who is a fan of the Sci-Fi genre. It is one of, if not the most influential Sci-Fi books ever created and I really do believe it would do you a disservice as a fan of the genre to not have read this book. For everyone else, if you can make it past the first two hundred page slog you will absolutely be in for a treat come the rest of the novel. I'm just not sure I can give a hearty 100% recommendation to everyone with this in mind. If you like political intrigue then give it a try, I think you will know very early on if the first two hundred pages are something you can make it through.

...

And that's my review/critique on "Dune"! Sorry this one took a while, I was on vacation in Germany for two weeks so Year of Critique was not on my mind hardly at all. I'll be coming out with the review for SMG soon, look forward to it.

Until then!

         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i