Skip to main content

Review/Critique: Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Galaxy

Nintendo



Review: "Super Mario Galaxy" is the definitive Mario title of my generation. It's a game that was on the shelf of every household of every switch owner I know, and is generally seen as one of the greatest games in the franchise when matched with its sequel "Super Mario Galaxy 2". Perhaps looking at my rating would lead you to think that I don't believe this is true, and I do have to say that at this current point in time I find it quite difficult to decide how exactly I feel this game stacks up to its contemporaries. On the one hand the visual presentation, theming, and score of the game are far and away the best in the series. On the other, it feels like there are a lot of steps backward the game makes in taking to its new gameplay elements. This is the nature of innovation but it's unfortunate to say that some of the standard Mario gameplay elements are put on the backburner. I'll elaborate a bit more on what I mean by that in a little bit, but let's start as I usually do on a more positive note talking about all the things this game does incredibly well.

         To start, this game has quite possibly the best score of any video game I have ever played in my life. Each track so beautifully sets the tone for the level it occupies and manages to feel distinct yet fits in with each other track to create a really consistent mood and atmosphere. If there is any complaint I would have it would be that some of the tracks are used a few too many times, but it's a small complaint to be sure. Alone though good music can only accomplish so much, it's how this music in combination with the art style and overall visual presentation makes the game feel to play that is truly important. Many people have said that playing Super Mario Odyssey made them feel true joy, like they were a kid again. Well I never really got the feeling for that game, but for "Super Mario Galaxy" I definitely know what they're talking about. I think a lot of it does have to do with the music and presentation, but also from the numerous little ways the game builds its theme and atmosphere as well. The hub in this game is in my opinion the best of any Mario game, the Lumas are by far the cutest characters to occupy the Mario universe, and Rosalina's story and how it is told could not be better executed if they tried. As you can see the game does a lot in the ways of setting a consistent, epic atmosphere (something I've described before is very important for any game to do) I just don't think when it comes to gameplay it hits the mark quite as well.

         First off, the game reuses a lot of stage assets for the larger levels and it's very noticable. Sure there are different textures, they're obviously not entirely the same, but it really does feel like they had to take some liberties in presenting a game so ahead of its time and this is one of them. Perhaps it is all anecdotal, but in the sequel I absolutely don't notice reused assets in any way. Now let's talk about the motion controls. Like most of you I find the motion controls to almost always feel out of place or contrived. Aside from when collecting Star Bits, every dangerous strapless flick of the Wii Mote at the screen felt unnatural, more like a gimmick than a step in the right direction. Luckily the true overarching gimmick of gravity on tiny little planets is much better executed than that of motion controls, but even then it feels as though the game barely scratches the surface of what this gimmick is capable of even with how much it focused on it. This over focus too causes the game to lose some of what makes other 3D Mario games so fun in the first place - running around. Running and jumping around as Mario is as fun as ever in Galaxy, but you get the opportunity to do it so infrequently since so much of the game is comprised of walking around on tiny little planets rather than sprawling open landscapes. I want to make it clear I don't think the inclusion of the central gimmick is in any way a detriment to the overall experience, I just think the game focuses on it far too much. This is my biggest gripe with the game, but is one that is ever present and overarching.

         I think it's important to keep in mind that Mario titles, and platformers as a whole, tend not to be my favorite genre. When I say the game has flaws remember that there is not a game out there that does not have some flaw that it could do better without, and that at the end of the day one's enjoyment of games is strictly personal. I really enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy, and I think you likely will too - just keep in mind that the strict platforming the series is known for is often at the backburner in favor of innovative gameplay mechanics and gimmicks. I do not mean this word in a negative way at all either, it's rather a matter of fact. 

Recommendation: If you have this game on your shelf and haven't played it before there's a strong chance I would recommend it to you if you have any interest at all in playing it. If you play a lot of platformers this game will likely serve as a great change of pace. If you love atmospherically rich games you will likely take to this game very positively. If you don't tend to like Mario titles, this may be one that changes your mind. It is only if you are a strict 3D Mario platformer traditionalist, that I think this one will likely stray a bit too far for you.

...

And that's my review for Super Mario Galaxy! Tune in real soon for my picks for August - these are gonna be good.

Until then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i