Skip to main content

Picks: October

Theme: Horror

Hello there! NieR took quite a bit longer to complete than I was expecting, so I was a bit delayed in releasing my picks for October to you all. I just finished the game though, got the review out, and now it's time to release my picks for October. The theme is a pretty broad one I know, but it's only fitting for the month of Halloween to get some spooks going.

Album: Hvis lyset tar oss

Artist: Burzum


Why I chose this Album: When you think musical horror, black metal is definitely one of the first genres that comes to your head. Hvis lyset tar oss (or Until the Light Takes Us) is the third studio album by Norwegian black metal band Burzum, one of the most influential bands in the Black Metal scene. I was originally going to listen to their fourth studio album; however, on recommendation from a friend of mine I decided on Hvis lyset tar oss as it is their most well received project and that which is the most horrific. Not sure what to expect going into this one, all I know is that it will definitely be a new experience for me.

Film: The Shining

Director: Stanley Kubrick



Why I chose this Film: Yes I know, two Kubrick films within 3 months of each other? Where's the diversity? While I definitely hear what you're saying, there is no horror movie as iconic or prestigious as The Shining. Even knowing how hard it is for me to watch horror movies, people still look at me in shock when I tell them I haven't seen it. While I definitely agree that for diversities sake I should probably pick something else, it also feels as though choosing anything other than the most iconic horror movie of all time would be a disservice to myself. Especially considering how much I enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssey, there really is no better film for this month than The Shining

Book: House of Leaves

Mark Z. Danielewski


Why I chose this Book: I've been meaning to get around to House of Leaves for a very long time. Ever since freshman year of College when my now girlfriend told me how amazing it was, and how much I would like it. It's a book with a huge cult following, and for good reason. It's such a weird, non traditional horror novel. It frequently plays around with the medium of written text in interesting and inventive ways, messing with the set in stone formula that so many people are used to. It uses this method to push you out of your comfort zone and invoke a sense of fear in you that most books cannot. The biggest reason I considered not reading this book is because it is a daunting 700 pages. With just how many people have told me to read it this year alone though, I have a feeling it's going to be well worth the time investment.

Little Horrors

Publisher: Bandai Namco


Why I chose this Game: Among the more iconic and grandiose titles I've chosen for this month, Little Horrors definitely feels a bit dwarfed. I felt though when deciding my picks for the month that there was a lack of charming, colorful spook that Halloween and horror as a whole is known for. Up to this point the pieces of media I've chosen are really dark and grim, which does not do the entirety of Horror justice. Horror often is dark and grim sure, but it can also be fun and colorful, a celebration of the childish ghouls and monsters we feared as a kid. Little Horrors is all of that and more. It's very classically spooky, drawing clear inspiration from Burton and Laika type films. It embodies that juvenile, cartoon horror I was really looking for, the kind that Horror just wouldn't be the same without.

...

And those are my picks for October! Halloween is just around the corner, and as such I will try to speed up the blog writing process. I know I say that every time, but this time for real! Next post will be Vol 3: by Slipknot, hope you're looking forward to it.



Until then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i