Skip to main content

Picks: November

Theme: Dreams


Album: Teen Dream

Beach House

Why I chose this album: I had quite a large number of dream pop albums to choose from going into this month, and the seemingly quintessential listen within the genre Teen Dream checks all the boxes. It's spacey, airy, and most importantly has Dream, in the title! Of course I'm only joking - when listening to a few samples of the albums I was deciding between, Teen Dream really just best set the mood I was going for, and was definitely the album I most wanted to hear more of.

Film: Lucia

Pawan Kumar



Why I chose this Film: To be honest with you all, my first instincts for this month had me picking Requiem for a Dream, not Lucia. Upon looking a bit more into the movie though, I realized it's just not as relevant to the theme as it seems. Lucia though, was a perfect match. It deals not just with dreams as they pertain to sleeping, but also with dreams in the aspirational sense. The second I saw the description I knew I had to watch it, and it has an 8.3 on IMDB which is a nutty af score so, I'm pretty hyped.

Book: The Alchemist

Paulo Coehlo


Why I chose this Book: As it states on the front of the book, The Alchemist is a book about a man following his dreams. When my friend originally pitched the book to me he described it as the first shounen of all time, something that super peaked my interest. After almost a year without a good theme in which to read this critically acclaimed masterpiece I finally have the chance to get to it and I'm so incredibly excited.

Game: Psychonauts

Doublefine


Why I chose this Game: Psychonauts is a game I have really fond memories of playing when I was younger. I loved the art style, gameplay, humor, you name it. I never got around to beating it though, and with a sequel coming next year there's no better time to play it than now. When you think games that deal with dreams, it's one of the first ones that comes to mind as you see yourself traversing different characters dreamscapes to solve their problems. It's an awesome game that I'm psyched to finally complete.

...

And those are my picks for November! Pretty pleased with this theme overall, I think the picks are all super solid. Join me soon (hopefully) where I will be reviewing the black metal album Hvis lyset tar oss, be on the lookout for it.

Until then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i