Skip to main content

Picks: December

Picks: December

Theme: Snow

Hey all! It's been quite a while since I last made a post here. The holidays have had me away from home for quite a while, so I've been a bit delayed in getting out new posts. Before the year ends though, I'd like to take a moment and let you guys know what I've been checking out this holiday season! This is the last month of my year of critique, it's been a blast I hope you've all enjoyed. I'll get to the posts I'm behind on early next year, for now let's get into my picks!

Album: 50 Words for Snow

Kate Bush


Why I chose this Album: Jazz is the first genre that comes to mind when I think of the winter season. Cuddled up by the fire listening to Jazz when it's cold outside is a pretty traditional american past time, which makes this album such a treat. It's not only a jazz album (the first I'm doing for YoC), but also a concept album about the winter season. Originally I planned to do an album that was more Christmas related (as the theme was originally going to be The Holidays), but this one just fit the theme of Snow far better.

Film: White Christmas

Michael Curtiz


Why I chose this Film: It's Christmas related sure, but still pretty fitting for the theme of Snow if I do say so myself. It's also the first comedy of the year for me (although Amelie was quite funny), so I felt it added some diversity to the mix as well. White Christmas is a classic holiday film - even through its age it has a staying power not many other holiday films can match. I don't watch many older movies, I'm hoping this one will still be engaging date and provide the warm feelies I'm looking for curled up on the couch.

Book: A Christmas Carol

Charles Dickens


Why I chose this Book: Another Christmas related piece, but again another fitting one (the holidays is pretty synonymous with Snow anyway). My girlfriend has been trying to get me to read this book for a long while, now seems to finally be the time. It's a chilling piece whose influence on popular media cannot be under stated.

Game: Celeste

Matt Makes Games


Why I chose this game: Alright I'll be honest, this is the item this month I'm the most excited to get around to. Literally everybody I know who's played this game adores it, it gets rave reviews online, and it's about as close to perfect for the theme as a game can get. It's a platformer that has you scaling a snowy mountain for its entire duration. I've been waiting all year to play Celeste, and am incredibly excited the wait is over.


...


And those are my picks for December! It's been a long fun ride, I still have a lot of reviews to get out so stay tuned for those.


Until Then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i