Skip to main content

Review/Critique: The Shining

The Shining

Stanley Kubrick



Review/Critique: "How could anybody write an entire thesis paper on one movie?" This is a question that may have crossed my mind before watching The Shining, but will never cross my mind ever again. Knowing as much as I did going into this movie I really wasn't expecting to be confused, but lo and behold come the end of it I'm wondering what the fuck just happened. I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey earlier this year, so I thought that I was prepared for the worst Kubrick could throw at me. Clearly I was mistaken.

         The Shining is one of those movies that you could talk about with someone for hours and still barely scratch the surface of what you think the movie might be trying to say. Even with it being one of the most famous horror movies ever made, one that literally has another famous movie dedicated to analyzing it, there's still so much that hasn't been said. I think this is the biggest strength of The Shining, but also its biggest flaw. While I went into it knowing what a Kubrick movie is generally like, there are many who go into it expecting something very different and I can't blame them. The movie carries a lot of hype and mysticism, often being cited as one of the great horror movies, but it's not all that overtly scary. I'm easily scared myself and I was able to handle the whole movie start to finish with relative ease. It's creepy don't get me wrong and it has a lot of really dark, twisted themes, but is it scary? Not really. It's much like Kubrick's other films. It builds tension with long drawn out panned shots and booming background music. It rarely ever crescendo's into something truly haunting and when it does it's more psychologically manipulative than it is outright visually terrifying. It goes into the minds of its characters to show you how they're feeling, how their mental state is changing, and how those changes effect the people around them. I'm not going to argue that The Shining isn't a horror movie, but I will certainly say that classifying it as such ends up leaving a lot of people let down - especially by today's standards for the horror genre. Unless you're fanatical about horror and can appreciate the ways this movie has influenced the genre, you'll likely come away from it wanting more. Like I said before, it's not that overtly scary, it's very slow, and some of the performances can be kind of hit or miss. How then would I describe The Shining and what is its appeal? The Shining is a movie that begs to be analyzed. The more you do the more things you come to appreciate about it. There's so many little touches in this movie, such great camera work, so many subtle acting choices, the process of shaping and reshaping the lens with which you view the movie is a huge part of the enjoyment - and sure I may have said that it's not that overtly terrifying, but I would be lying if I said it didn't have some chilling moments. It's just more about getting into your head and defying your expectations than it is about making you jump out of your seat to go bleach your eyeballs.

Recommendation: I think The Shining is the perfect example of a movie that's better enjoyed by somebody who likes talking about movies as much or more than they like watching them. If that sounds like you then you really should give it a watch. Even if you aren't too big on horror or have a hard time handling it like me, just get a group of friends together and I promise you it won't be too bad and it will be well worth your time. In fact I think if the above describes you, it's the perfect movie for you. This will likely be in the upper range of what you can handle which in my opinion will make you even more enamored by it. If you are super into horror but don't really care much about the movies that influenced the genre, this probably isn't for you. Unless you also really like talking about movies you will probably get pretty bored of what The Shining has to offer you. Overall though you can't really go wrong with this movie. I think it's a pretty likable film with enough highbrow and lowbrow content to make everybody happy and get everybody talking at the end of the day. Throw it on at your next Halloween party, or watch it in a dark room by yourself, just make sure you've got a buddy who's down to talk about it with you.

...


And that's my review of The Shining! Next up is House of Leaves, a book that's taken me a very long time to get through (it's very long).


Until then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review/Critique: The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde "If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that - for that - I would give everything!" - Dorian Gray Expectations: I had already read the first two chapters before choosing this book for the month of February. I liked what I had read a lot and my girlfriend Allie gives this book praises for days so I expected to really like this book. Needless to say, I absolutely adored "The Picture of Dorian Gray ". It fully lived up to my expectations of it, and has become a book that after more pondering could easily end up a 6/6 for me. If you want to go into this book without any knowledge (something I do recommend) then hopefully that is enough of a blurb to convince you to check this novel out, but if you need more convincing let me attempt to do so below. Review/Critique: To summarize a book like "The Picture of Dorian Gray " is not an easy task I am findin

Picks: June

Hello everyone! We are well into June which means it is time to divulge into my picks for June. The Lord of the Rings season is over which means everything is back to normal and the themes are no longer going to be centered around any series in general. The theme I have chosen for this month is  Space , let's get into the picks! Album: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust Why I chose this Album: An incredibly famous album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is what launched David Bowie into stardom. I have never listened to any David Bowie album in its entirety before, and as he is one of the most culturally relevant figures in modern society it is a stain on my back to say the least. Therefore, I wanted to listen to one of David Bowie's albums this year and the theme of space was the perfect month to do so. Many of David Bowie's albums could have worked fine as his central character Ziggy Stardust acts as a messenger for extraterrestrials - but I chose this one

Review: The Revenant

The Revenant Alejandro González Iñárritu Review: I absolutely adore Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception, Django Unchained and The Wolf of Wall Street are among some of my favorite movies and Leo's performance in all of them, in my opinion, is top notch. This movie though, this movie right here is the one that won Leo an Oscar. I've been dying to see it for a while now, but a lack of funds kept me from seeing it in theaters, and a dwindling interest in film as a whole kept me from getting around to it entirely. Now that I've seen it though, I feel safe in saying that this is Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance to date.          Does that mean it's my favorite movie I've seen with Leonardo DiCaprio in it? No, not really. In fact I would say that I like it less than all of the movies I listed above, but of stand alone performances, this is Leo's best. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality film, but it wasn't totally up my alley. The Revenant i